Veteran's preference applies
The City of Delray Beach does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability,
marital status, family status or sexual orientation in employment
or the provision of services
The City of Delray Beach is aNon-Tobacco Workplace. The City
will not consider applicants who have used tobacco or nicotine
products for a period of at least three months prior to application
for employment. The definition of "tobacco or nicotine products"
includes but is not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, chewing
tobacco, pipes, snuff, e-cigarettes and nicotine patches or
Monitor, control and prevent situations hazardous to the health
and safety of beach patrons through alert, responsive observations
of the beach and the ocean. Execute rescue procedures promptly and
efficiently when necessary. Provide resuscitative care when needed.
Work is performed under general supervision.
Essential Job Duties
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission
of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical
assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required
- Observe and monitor beach patrons while viewing ocean
- Enforce City ordinances.
- Initiate water rescues in various situations and conditions.
Provide first aid care for minor injuries or care until EMS
personnel arrives, along with giving CPR, if necessary.
- Regulate activities that may threaten beach patrons or
- Assist in maintenance of lifesaving equipment and
- Function as a spokesperson.
- Assist in computerized recordkeeping.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS ABILITIES AND PERSONAL
- Knowledge of Basic Life Support procedures; lifesaving,
resuscitative techniques and actions, along with beach
- Ability to care for patients with traumatic injuries in highly
- Ability to run and swim with strength and endurance.
- Ability to perform emergency medical procedures.
- Ability to direct recreational activities in the ocean
- Ability to perform job functions in stressful situations.
- Skill in using Semi-Automatic Defibrillators in cardiac
- Proficiency in performing CPR Professional Rescuer.
- Computer knowledge and skill.
- High school graduate or possession of an acceptable equivalency
- Must possess a State of Florida State EMT Certification.
- Must possess CPR for the professional rescuer
- Must possess a valid State of Florida Driver's License
- Must satisfactorily complete the Ocean Lifesaving qualification
The abilities expected of all employees include being able to
respond to supervision, guidance and direction of superiors in a
positive, receptive manner and in accordance with stated policies,
be appropriately groomed and attired so as to present a
professional image in accordance with the organization's mission,
goals, and policies; report for work promptly and properly prepared
at the time and place required by the assignment or orders; notify
the appropriate supervisor of intended absences in accordance with
stated rules; conform with standards and rules regarding use of
accrued time; demonstrate a polite, helpful and courteous manner
when engaged in any activity with the public; operate and care for
equipment to manufacturer's specifications and/or within the
specified parameters; demonstrate an understanding, consideration,
and respect of cultural, religious, and gender differences when
interacting with the public and colleagues.
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be
substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. The work environment
characteristics described are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
- Acceptable eyesight (without correction)
- Acceptable hearing (without hearing aid)
- Heavy (45 pounds and over) lifting and carrying
- Running, swimming, paddling, rowing, bending or climbing
- Dangerous ocean currents and surf conditions.
- Works out-of-doors in various weather conditions.
- Heights (up to 10 feet)
- Sandy conditions
- Hazardous marine life
- Exposure to infectious diseases, ultraviolet ration
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger,
handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach
with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk,
run, swim, paddle and row. The employee must occasionally lift
and/or move up to 45 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by
this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Work
inside and outside daily
SELECTION GUIDELINES:Formal application, rating of education and
experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests
might be required. The job description does not constitute an
employment agreement with the employer, and requirements of the job