Delray Beach Police Officer- Certified
Company: Delray Beach, Florida
Location: Delray Beach
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Veterans' Preference Applies
- This posting will accept current Florida Police Academy
The City of Delray Beach does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability,
marital status, family status or sexual orientation in employment
or the provision of services
The City of Delray Beach is a Non-Tobacco Workplace. The City
will not consider applicants who have used tobacco or nicotine
products for a period of at least three months prior to application
for employment. The definition of "tobacco or nicotine products"
includes but is not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, chewing
tobacco, pipes, snuff, e-cigarettes and nicotine patches or
Maximum salary for Police Officer is based on degree and part of
a step program.
General duty police work in the protection of life and property
through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Work is performed
under the general supervision of a Police Sergeant.
Essential Job Duties
- Effect an arrest, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and
other restraints; subdues resisting suspects using maneuvers and
weapons and resort to the use of hands and feet, and other approved
weapons in self-defense.
Prepare investigative and other reports, including sketches,
using appropriate grammar, symbols and mathematical
Exercise independent judgment in determining when there is
reasonable suspicion to detain, when probable cause exists to
search and arrest and when force may be used and to what
Operate a law enforcement vehicle during both the day and night;
in emergency situations involving speeds in excess of posted
limits, in congested traffic and in unsafe road conditions caused
by factors such as fog, smoke, and rain.
Communicate effectively and coherently over law enforcement
radio channels while initiating and responding to radio
Gather information in criminal investigations by interviewing
and obtaining the statements of victims, witnesses, suspects and
Pursue fleeing suspects and perform rescue operations which may
involve quickly entering and exiting law enforcement patrol
vehicles; lifting, carrying and dragging heavy objects; climbing
over and pulling up oneself over obstacles; jumping down from
elevated surfaces; climbing through openings; jumping over
obstacles, ditches and streams; crawling in confined areas;
balancing on uneven or narrow surfaces and using body force to gain
entrance through barriers.
Load, unload, aim and fire from a variety of body positions -
handguns, shotguns and other agency firearms under conditions of
stress that justify the use of deadly force and at levels of
proficiency prescribed in certification standards.
Perform searches of people, vehicles, buildings and large
outdoor areas which may involve feeling and detecting objects,
walking for long periods of time, detaining people and stopping
suspicious vehicles and persons.
Conduct visual and audio surveillance for extended periods of
Engage in law enforcement patrol functions that include such
things as working rotating shifts, walking on foot patrol and
physically checking the doors and windows of buildings to ensure
they are secure.
Effectively communicate with people, including juveniles, by
giving information and directions, mediating disputes and advising
of rights and processes.
Demonstrate communication skills in court and other formal
Detect and collect evidence and substances that provide the
basis of criminal offenses and infractions and that indicate the
presence of dangerous conditions.
Endure verbal and mental abuse when confronted with the hostile
views and opinions of suspects and other people encountered in an
Perform rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and disasters
to include directing traffic for long periods of time,
administering emergency medical aid, lifting, dragging and carrying
people away from dangerous situations and securing and evacuating
people from particular areas.
Process and transport prisoners using handcuffs and other
Put on and operate a gas mask in situations where chemical
munitions are being deployed.
Extinguish small fires by using a fire extinguisher and other
Read and comprehend legal and non-legal documents, including the
preparation and processing of such documents as citations,
affidavits and warrants.
Process arrests suspects to include taking their photographs and
obtaining a legible set of inked fingerprint impressions.
When designated, trains, cares for, and uses a K-9 dog in patrol
and other assignments.
- Patrols areas of the City by: car, on foot, motorcycle, or
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a
complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be
required to perform other job related marginal duties as
- Must be a U.S. Citizen (born or naturalized).
- This includes current Florida Police Academy Cadets
- Must have a minimum of 60 college credits.
- No conviction of felony or misdemeanor involving moral
turpitude or domestic violence.
- Prior military service must have been completed with an
- Must possess a valid Florida driver's license at time of hire
- Vision must be corrected to 20/20.
- Punctuality and regular attendance are essential functions of
this position, as well as working mandatory shift hours, including
days, nights, holidays, weekends,unscheduled overtime as needed and
periodic call outs for both work-related and emergency-preparedness
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively and to
determine proper course of action to be taken.
- Ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously and
tactfully, and with respect for the rights of others.
- Ability to learn the geography of the City and its physical and
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written
- Ability to read, write and speak effectively.
- Ability to meet physical requirements and standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in
- Light (up to 15 pounds) to heavy (45 pounds and over) lifting
- Endure sustained acts of physical exhaustion and endure periods
of duty under unfavorable and life threatening situations.
- Meets all physical requirements needed to complete
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction)
- Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid)
- Reaching, pulling, pushing
- Depth perception, distinguish colors
- Walking, climbing, standing, crawling, kneeling, bending,
stooping, jumping, running
Keywords: Delray Beach, Florida, Delray Beach , Delray Beach Police Officer- Certified, Other , Delray Beach, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!